Sunday 30 May 2010

Reap what you sow




We recently got ourselves an allotment. I was so excited, i have always wanted to grow my own food. When we started to work our plot we discovered endless pieces of rusty metal and enough bricks to build a house! Maybe that is what the previous gardener was hoping for. Perhaps he thought if he planted the raw materials he might harvest a new build!





The plot actually resembles a building site more than a garden. We have started work on digging over and clearing but I wonder if we have taken on a project that is too big for us. I am not one who gives up on things easily and I am determined to give it a good go. I have worked really hard already and the thought of someone else coming in and reaping the benefits of my labour does not appeal to me.

I think we will have to call in the big guns and hire some machinery to get the place into any sort of shape for planting. I've never used a rotavator but I am looking forward to the experience.


We have already started to plan our crop layout for next year. I would love to become self sufficient and live off the land. This might age me but I always wanted to be Barbara Good from "The Good Life" We even plan to make wine at some time in the future and definately have a few hens.

And I can get fit and tone up whilst working on the allotment. Who needs to spend a fortune on Gym membership!


Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Julie,
    Hi hoe, hi hoe, it's off to the allotment we go...(you can whistle at this point).
    Well that looks like one heck of a challenge. Yet, like you note, it is great exercise and will, no doubt, be therapeutic.
    Kind wishes, Gary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, Gary. I am looking forward to the challenge. X

    ReplyDelete