Wednesday 27 July 2011

A load of bullocks.......in knitwear?

It's been so long since my last post and so much has changed since then, not least the amount of weight I've put on. In fact I'm considering changing the blog to 'Sweetness and not so l
Light'
Today Philip and I went to the Cardigan show, no we have not spent the day looking at knitted garments. We have been to the agricultural show in Cardigan, where we now live. Although some of the exhibits in the sheep and goat sections were wonderfully woolley. The Angoras were magnificent.
We spoke to a lady from the West Wales goat Society, who quite frankly really got my goat when she implied that pygmy goats are not 'real' goats. She did however, give us the contact details of a local lady who keeps pygmy goats. So hopefully when we are ready to have kids we can use the local breeder. I just read that last sentence back and realised it didn't sound good. What I mean is that when we are ready to buy our goats we can get them locally instead of having to go all the way back to Shrewsbury. (Phew, think I got out of that one ok.)
Zak, our little dog behaved impeccably around the livestock and we even managed to sit and watch some of the horse shows. My favourites were the miniatures and the Shires, polished and plaited to within an inch of their lives.
The local produce tent was full of leeks..........and carrots and beans. How do they manage to grow vegetables that look as if they've never seen dirt of any kind? There were onions the size of footballs....enough to feed a family of four for a week.
I had a good look round the local crafts tent, did I buy the handcarved wooden spoons or the beautifully stitched cushion covers? the locally crafted jewellery or the marvellous marquetry pictures? No, I emerged with two plastic carrier bags full of booze! It was all made from locally grown fruits though.
Returning to the cattle pens, Philip and I giggled about the size of the bulls' testicles. A little childish I admit, but they could not be ignored. Although Philip thought this capricorn had the best set of gemini of the day.
All in all we had a very enjoyable day. On our return home we opened a bottle of delicious gooseberry wine and I sat back and soaked up the sun. Until Philip, who cannot sit still for more than five minutes, decided to remove the window frame from the outside toilet. With a sledgehammer! I wouldn't mind but it's not more than six feet from where I was snoozing. Ah well, bless him. Not so much MC Hammer more WC Sledgehammer.
And so, to end a rather pleasant day, a barbecue and a few bevvies I think. Tomorrow, we really should do some work. I keep forgetting we're not on holiday.
Ah well, life's tough down here in Cardigan.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Julie,
    Pygmy goats are real goats, eh. You've goat to be kidding.
    Anyway, thrilled, delighted, on the verge of wondrous euphoria, that you folks are having such a great time in your new adventure.
    May the times in your new life be cherished as you strive ever forward to a more positive, more contented life.
    Oh, by the way, nice photo of Philip just above the guy with the sledgehammer :)
    Take very good care of each other.
    Love, Gary xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day out, but my, who is that handsome man?

    ReplyDelete